Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rediscovering Rome


    

How to rediscover

After living in Rome for the past few months, I'd like to think I have seen most of it. However, after returning to Rome for the last half of spring break I realized I have hardly seen Rome. I also learned that the best way to discover a new part of Rome, is to go back to what you know. There is bound to be something you missed. With that being said, I took Joe to all my favorite parts of the city, wanting to make sure he saw the best parts of Rome. But on the way we discovered so many places even I hadn't seen yet.



What I hadn't seen yet

At the end of day one, we tried to get on top of the wedding cake, but it was already closed. Instead we climbed the Campidoglio stairs a bunch of times, along with the stairs of the church right next to it. From there we saw a separate part of the Capitoline Hill that I had never been to.  From here we could look out over the whole city and watch the sunset, something I had yet to do while in Rome. 

Another place I am ashamed to admit I had never been to is the top of The Palentine Hill. We had gone to the Forum with our history class, and after that I just assumed I had seen all I needed to see at the Forum. After adventuring through the forum we started our climb of the Palentine hill. We at lunch at the Stadium on top of the hill and looked out over the city, yet again. Trying to identify the places we had and hadn't seen. We saw the Colosseo in the distance, our next destination and tried, with some difficulty, to find our way down the Palentine Hill. 



When it is time to leave


I noticed I haven't full days like these in Rome yet. And more importantly I noticed I need days like this. To just wake up and pack a lunch, with the intention of seeing the city, is something I haven't done very often while staying in Rome. We all sort of have this mentality that we still have a month left to see what we haven't seen yet, so there is no rush. But I think that when it is time to leave, some of the best days in my memory are going to be the ones that were full of adventures through the city, exploring all it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment